Saturday, November 15, 2014

Save a Child with water

While at the World Travel event in London in November I visited a booth that was
promoting Clean Water:  JUST A DROP, SAFE WATER =SAVED LIVES

With their permission I am posting info from the brochure given to me when I purchased a special H2WOW GP bottle.   



From Just a Drop:



*  Every 20 seconds a child dies from a water-related disease

*  768 million people i the world do NOT have access to clean, safe water

*  2.5 billion people do not have access to adequate sanitation

*   More people in the world own mobile phones than have access to a toilet



If you take a moment to think about the above numbers, it is staggering.  We have all seen the info commercials on TV where the villages have no paved road, housing is not to the standard most countries would consider suitable for families and these are NOT photos after an natural disaster but every day life.



As I contemplate my dream of a trip around the world I may never visit a town or city that falls below the poverty line but i WILL see a different standard of life.   I fear the massive crowds in India and understand that many live in spaces smaller than an American closet or even on the pavement of large cities.   I expect my visit to China will be ‘sanitized’ by the tour providers (no i don’t take tours but in China and India I will need on the ground help) so I may not see the China of the 1960’s or earlier.  

Nevertheless this appeal moved me and I purchased two of the water bottles.



Additional Information from their brochure:

“Our Mission:

To reduce child mortality caused by dirty water and poor sanitation by providing a local, clean water supply and sanitation facilities to communities worldwide

What we do

Working with local partners, we construct wells, boreholes, pipelines, hand-pumps, sand dams and latrines and support the establishment of WASH (Water and Sanitation Hygiene) educations programs.

Our projects focus on the basic water, sanitation and food security development needs of communities as identified by them. Enabling the community to operate, manage and control their own projects within a sustainable model

Just a Drop is a charity with global reach, with a particular emphasis in Africa, Asia and South America.  Projects have reached an estimated 1.5 million people.”



For  information contact Just a Drop at WWW.justadrop.org

Gateway House, 28 The Quadrant

Richmond, Surrey, TW9 1DN

email:  info@justadrop.org

Tel in the UK:  +44 (0) 20 8910 781



Disclosure:  I have not been paid for this blog post nor did I receive my water bottles complementary.  I am just sharing what I find on the road by a solo mature traveler.  I wonder if they accept volunteers for any of their projects?

No comments:

Post a Comment